Here are some tips for visiting Amsterdam. Let me know your thoughts and if I need to add anything here.
Getting from the Airport
- Get 2nd class train ticket to Amsterdam Centraal (Amsterdam Central Station)
- Get a weekend return ticket if going back on Sunday
- Ticket machines only accept coins and credit cards otherwise go to a ticket booth (this could have changed recently let me know)
- It takes 15 mins to get to Central Station
- Use 9292.nl to find out all transport listings for the tram, metro & train.
- Trains between Utrecht & Amsterdam run all night i.e. technically you can go clubbing in Utrecht and get night train back to Amsterdam and visa versa
- Get train to Central station from Schiphol Airport 15 mins – (try and get a weekend return its cheaper, in english the machines may encourage you to get a first class ticket ignore)
- Expect to get ripped off if you get a taxi anywhere
- Rent a bike or take a hop-on hop-off canal tour
- Canal boat tour- loads near central station
- Visit the Amsterdam Brewery – a pub in a windmill beside a canal !!
- On a sunny day chill out in Vondel Park with a few beers
- Hire a bike if you are brave – well its actually safer to cycle than walk in the centre I have been told – just don’t forget where you parked your bike! Its easier than you think
- The Tuschinski Art Deco Cinema in the main hall is pretty spectacular it looks like an opera house and most movies are in english.
- If you really feel like going to a museum go to the Science museum called Nemo (crazy building near central) nice cafe terrace with view from top.
- Van Gogh museum & Rijks museum are way too expensive and crowded during summer.
CLUBS & VENUES
Paradiso -Leidseplein, – converted church, live music venue/nightclub
Melkweg – Leidseplein – multiple rooms chill out area (similar to pod style)
Korsakoff – just offLeidseplein – trance, drum n bass
Winston Kingdom – smaller nightclub/bar good atmosphere cheely mondays good dnb night
Cafe alto – Leidseplein, jazz bar great atmosphere,
Bitterzoet – Spuistraat (close to central)
T’arendsnest – Herengract 90, Jordaan, – Great Dutch beer cafe
[Image source: Jessieonajourney.com]
- 1er Klas In central station its a Grand Cafe on platform 2b great chill out spot with good food before airport (check out the parrot)
- Try getting a Suriname Roti ( like a spicy curry stew) YUM, best ones are found outside the city but ask around
- Pijp area ( near Heineken brewery) is good for food
- Funky bar restaurant middle eastern food in old church http://bazaramsterdam.com/
- Try an indonesian Ris Tafel ( rice table) – http://www.kantjil.nl/en/
- Try FEBO at your own risk = machine food
- Ask for Patatje Oorlog – ‘fries of war’ literally translated, satay sauce, mayo & onion
- Pizza Bakkers – exquisite pizza
- 24 hour beer delivery – just in case!
- Festina Lente – Cafe bar overlooking canal in quieter district
OTHER TIPS FOR VISITING AMSTERDAM
- Don’t walk on the cycle path, it pisses off the locals!
- Watch out for cars, trams, bikes, motorbikes, seriously just look both ways
- Don’t fall into a canal ~:)